Friday, August 1, 2008

Don't try too hard to have everyone like you.

Every time I have a dream, the ending always relates to how I wake up. I don't excatly remember how my dream ended today, but my dad started rubbing my nose because I unconsciously twitch it when I hear noises that are waking me up. Around 5am my nose began to twitch, and I had to hurry to get dressed immediately because we were heading to my dad's farm. My dad invited my other family from Miami to actually be there when the goat would get slaughtered. It's really sad to say that I've gotten used to that because since I was little, my dad has always had a special day at his farm where he invites the family and kills some sort of animal, be it a pig, cow, chicken, or goat. I stayed away, and took pictures of the week old piglets that run alone in the farm and the calves.

When we came back to my house over here, the town was in cahoots over the saint that they praise by dancing, drinking rum, and popping fireworks every July. This time, I decided to join my sister in the dancing parade, but I could not stand the vile stench of vomit from drunkards blended in with musty sweat and everyone pushing everyone around. It was a moshpit headed around town, and I just had to leave before I punched someone in the nose.

The firework show was ridiculously awesome. I cannot go about looking at a firework show without cracking my neck in a 90 degree angle and smiling the entire time. These fireworks over here were much bigger than the 4th of July fireworks in the states, and they had the whole town in "ooos" and "ahhhs" because they had never seen such fireworks. I'm upset I couldn't have taken my camera. Curse you pocket pickers.

We ran into my cousin Carlos on the way back home and decided to take him to the block party with us. For 20 Cordobas, which is a dollar over in the states, you could get into the party and get a free beer. The thing about Nicaragua is that there is no exact age limit to drinking, or even gambling. You can be 14 and buy a Pina Colada with as much alcohol as you want. You can gamble when you're 18, but if you look old enough, you're good to go. Either way, it didn't matter because I despise the taste of beer, and I'm a penny saver too.

Don't try too hard to have everyone like you.

I got that in my honesty box on Facebook today. Call me egoistic, call me a narcissist, call me what you will, but I'm pretty sure I don't try hard to have everyone like me. If people like me, then that's on them. I cannot force them to like me. And why would I care if someone didn't like me? I have it confirmed that there are people that don't enjoy my presence for whatever case, but that doesn't bother me one bit. I'm perfectly fine with that. I think I'd be scared if everyone liked me. I'd probably be more anti social than I already am, which is another reason why I don't think I try hard to have people like me. I need that balance I guess. I think I'm actually pretty selfish when it comes to what other people think about me. I just really don't care. I don't know about you, but that's the way I see it. And if I fail to see that I actually do try hard to have everyone like me, then I guess I'm condemned for a life of ignorance...


Song of the day:
Lykke Li - I'm Good I'm Gone

One of my favourite live performances that she has had.
Enjoy.

No comments: