Friday, September 12, 2008

Reporting live from the mind of a college student;

This life is expensive, to say the least. I used to complain about spending at least $80 per school year on books and at most $50 for uniform, and I guess I had nothing to complain about before. I guess financial aid is okay, but I've already blown away half of it in less than 2 weeks, and it's still going away. Now, I've become so frugal, I won't even buy food even if I'm on the verge of passing out while riding my bike to class. Nope, I'll wait to get home. Basically, for everything other than food, college has made craigslist, ebay, thrifting, and sales my best friends.

And the commute is ridiculous. Driving a total of an hour, and sometimes even more depending on traffic back and forth to school makes me the most grumpiest person when I arrive home, and my parents are always complaining about my frequent naps. I should be dorming; really, I should, or at least live in an apartment here in Long Beach, Seal Beach, or by Belmont Shore.

Yesterday after class I stayed on campus for a while, and found la.cityzine.com. I feel kind of late because probably everyone else has taken a look at the site, but I guess I'll catch up soon enough. Anyways, they're having free ticket giveaways to see Tokyo Police Club and DeVotchKa. Hopefully I get at least one or the other. Basically, all you do is reply to the post, and for DeVotchKa, you have to write which is your favorite instrument. If you don't recall DeVotchKa, you might have heard some of their tracks while you watched Little Miss Sunshine.

Speaking of shows, I have to buy my tickets to see Lykke Li...

I'm a happier camper now. Fall is right around the corner, and Southern California has become much much chillier. No more sweat, no more hyperventilation after riding my cruiser to class, and more layers to wear! Finally, I can wear my coats,sweaters, and scarves that have been stored in my closet. Cold weather, oh I have missed you so!

A good song for a good mood and the good weather:

Theatre of Disco - YOA
(click YOA for download)
Theatre Of Disco is one of my recently discovered bands from Australia. Their electrically delicious track that I've been hunting down from DJ Lady Byrd's Live at Robot Rock Mixtape (click for download), which is also pretty snazzy as well, is a new sound that has played on repeat on my head since I first heard it. Give these tracks a listen, and you'll be a happy camper just like me. (Disclaimer: Happy camper-ness not guaranteed.)

No comments: